RESTORed ireland

 

Loftus Hall

Co. Wexford

Documenting our Heritage

The Loftus hall which stands today on a baron edge of the Hook peninsula in County Wexford was built over the remains of Redmond Hall in 1870. Redmond Hall had been the residence of the Redmond family since around 1350.


On the 20 July 1642, during the Irish Confederate Wars, Redmond Hall was attacked by English Soldiers. The Soldiers took a ship from Duncannon Fort with around ninety men and two small canons. Alexander Redmond, who at the time was sixty eight years old, barricaded the Hall and prepared to defend it. At his side were his two sons Robert and Michael, some of their tenants, two men at arms and a tailor who happened to be working in The Hall at the time, a total of ten men. The English discovered that their small canons made little impression on the front door of The Hall, and to add to their troubles around half the English soldiers abandoned their captain to pillage the countryside. During the fight a heavy sea mist descended on the Hook Peninsula and the English forces were unaware that an Irish Confederate force in the area, coming to the aid of the Redmonds, had marched up behind them. Around thirty English soldiers escaped to their boat, many were killed including the English captain, with the remainder taken as prisoners. The next day several of the English prisoners felt the hangman’s noose tighten around their necks. On the 20th August a further eleven of the prisoners were hanged at New Ross.


Alexander Redmond was attacked several more times, but received favourable terms from Cromwell. When he died around 1651, his family, however, were evicted.

Loftus Hall,
Co. Wexford
The Devil CallsLoftus_Hall_2.html

Home
start.html
Pics
1Loftus_Hall_3.html
Pics
2Loftus_Hall_4.html
Pics
3Loftus_Hall_5.html
Pics
4Loftus_Hall_6.html
Loftus_Hall.html

Redmond Hall



The Loftus family, originally from England, had acquired some lands a short distance from Redmond Hall and had made Fethard Castle their family residence. At the end of Cromwell’s campaign, Nicholas Loftus purchased Redmond Hall from several of Cromwell’s “Adventurers and Soldiers”. In 1666 Redmond Hall become the new home of the Loftus family and was promptly renamed Loftus Hall. Nicholas Loftus’s son Henry Loftus had the following inscribed at the entrance: “Henry Loftus of Loftus Hall Esq. 1680”


Over the following years the Loftus family rose in the peerage:

In 1785 - Baron Loftus, of Loftus Hall in the County of Wexford

In 1789 - Viscount Loftus, of Ely

In 1794 - Earl of Ely, in the Kingdom of Ireland,

In 1801 Baron Loftus, of Long Loftus in the County of York, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, by which title the Marquess of Ely sat in the British House of Lords until the passage of the House of Lords Act 1999.


In 1870, John Henry Wellington Graham Loftus, the fourth Marquess of Ely demolished the old Redmond Hall and with no expense spared, built the present Lotus Hall over it’s foundations. A three storey non-basement mansion, nine bays to the front with a balustraded parapet. One of it’s main features was a magnificent oak staircase, hand carved by Italian craftsmen.

Loftus Hall was abandoned by the Loftus family in the early years of the twentieth century.


From 1917 to 1983 it was occupied by two Catholic orders. In 1917 it was bought by the Benedictines who occupied it until 1935. In 1937, the Sisters of Providence turned Loftus into a convent and school for young girls.


In 1983, Loftus Hall was on the market again, and was purchased by Michael Deveraux who reopened it as "Loftus Hall Hotel". The hotel closed in the late 1990s and the property began to fall into disrepair.


In 2008 it was was on the market again, finally selling in 2011. The new owners have started on a restoration project and the house and grounds are expected to open to tourists in Summer 2012 - until then, please note that Loftus Hall is private property and is not open to the public.